*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Discussions about sex
| |-+  Artist's Alley (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Height Map Tutorial for Texture Editing
« previous next »
: [1]
: Height Map Tutorial for Texture Editing  ( 14203 )
Keiko
: 316

Independent Fashion Designer

« : May 01, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

This is my attempt at making a HM (Height Map) Tutorial.

I've never made a HM before but after playing around in Photoshop for a bit, I've determined a pretty easy way to get a basic HM started which can be tweaked into what looks best for your texture.

This is what my texture design looks like with the default AChat shirt HM:

• Step 1: Open your .png texture in photoshop.
  • Step 2: Select FILTER > SKETCH > PHOTOCOPY... from the top menu

• Step 3: Adjust the "DETAIL" slider to determine how much detail you want the HM (Hight Map) to detect. Adjust the "DARKNESS" slider to determine the obviousness of the hightened areas.

• **TIP** White raises the surface, Black lowers the surface.
  • **TIP2** If you want to invert the appearance of your HM, select IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > INVERT

I chose this texture to use as the example piece since it's the easiest to compare the different HMs. I also have a very old version of Photoshop so I don't know if the newer versions are set up differently but I assume they should work in a similar fashion. If anyone has special tips or tricks with adjusting the HM, feel free to post it.

hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #1 : May 02, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »

Good work Keiko! and it's nice to see you here again after a while!

susana4love
: 9

MSN Messenger - susana4love@hotmail.com
« #2 : May 02, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »

Hi Heiko,

Just a question...how do you add it as a background?

Days are too busy, hours are too few,
seconds are too fast but there is always
a time for me to say hello & good luck
for a friend. Smile & enjoy life!
TightFit74
: 2415

« #3 : May 06, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »

Looks great keiko, more a technical question... In the viewer for the designs, you can load the map as a seperate file. Any idea how that works? When you have made a HM, do you save that as a seperate file? And what format does that file have? .png as well?

I'm just flusterred with the HM's.. :)

The mind... the most powerful Aphrodisiac...
Keiko
: 316

Independent Fashion Designer

« #4 : May 06, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »

Hi Heiko,

Just a question...how do you add it as a background?

I'm not sure I understand your question,  Susana. Are you asking how to make just the colored texture image, not the height map?

Looks great keiko, more a technical question... In the viewer for the designs, you can load the map as a seperate file. Any idea how that works? When you have made a HM, do you save that as a seperate file? And what format does that file have? .png as well?

I'm just flusterred with the HM's.. :)

The map has to be a seperate file. You should have 2 files for each texture. 1 is the original color texture image, the other is almost like a photocopy of the original. So when you use the viewer, you must load your texture, then load the height map. Again you cannot save the height map to the existing texture as something like a 2nd layer. It needs to be it's own file. To get it just right requires alot of trial and error. Lots and lots of tweaking. It can be a bit more difficult than designing a texture so you need alot of practice and patience.  :)

Marilyn
: 3771

« #5 : August 28, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »

Woah!! This is a great tip, thank you!!!  :)

My alley: http://www.funnyadultgamesplay.com/forum/index.php/topic,1884.0.html
Kingdustin
: 598

« #6 : November 18, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

this bring back nightmares from my computer programing and photo-shop class back HS......I wasn't very good on the subject lol

true beauty lies in great friendship =)
HoneyRider
: 8

« #7 : December 05, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »

Thank you Keiko!
Patricia1975
: 385

« #8 : January 09, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »

That Would be nice,
If  people with more experience making  suits, , ocasionly, publish some design Tips, for Newbies.
MY OPINION !!

At Least When Im starting to be confortable doing that in gimp or phorshop , i will do that here!
So, more people could learn something here,to help improve Achat.

Beijos Fofos........Patricia

Patricia1975
: 385

« #9 : June 06, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

Can we use Marvelous Designer 3  , to make achat dresses?
FoxyRoxxy
: 10457

DESERT ROSE

« #10 : July 12, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »

This is my attempt at making a HM (Height Map) Tutorial.

I've never made a HM before but after playing around in Photoshop for a bit, I've determined a pretty easy way to get a basic HM started which can be tweaked into what looks best for your texture.

This is what my texture design looks like with the default AChat shirt HM:

• Step 1: Open your .png texture in photoshop.
  • Step 2: Select FILTER > SKETCH > PHOTOCOPY... from the top menu

• Step 3: Adjust the "DETAIL" slider to determine how much detail you want the HM (Hight Map) to detect. Adjust the "DARKNESS" slider to determine the obviousness of the hightened areas.

• **TIP** White raises the surface, Black lowers the surface.
  • **TIP2** If you want to invert the appearance of your HM, select IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > INVERT

I chose this texture to use as the example piece since it's the easiest to compare the different HMs. I also have a very old version of Photoshop so I don't know if the newer versions are set up differently but I assume they should work in a similar fashion. If anyone has special tips or tricks with adjusting the HM, feel free to post it.

Thank you for sharing this will  keep me busy and it will be nice to play  around with it .

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
: [1]  
« previous next »
: