*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Just everyday crap- just let loose
« previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
: Just everyday crap- just let loose  ( 44114 )
Adera
: 3047

« #75 : September 21, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

There is no death sentence in either Sweden nor Finland, and life improsonment is not until you die just for an undetermined time. After 10 years you can plead to get the sentence changed, but the imprisonment has to be at least 18 years.

Another thing that really bothers me is that they are served better food than what I got in school :(
Janine Dee
: 2541

« #76 : September 22, 2010, 12:46:09 AM »

I know that European nations can and do often consider themselves more civilized then us here in the US. I know that their refusal of capital punishment is one of the things they will hang that superior hat on.

I also know that when civilization was first starting one of the key concepts was mutual defense.

Or in other words if you were on your own and a bear tried to eat you, you were on your own. People started forming villages, and later towns because of just that sort of threat... weaker creatures bending together to protect themselves against predators.

I see it as one of the keystones of civilization.

Yet now it's "civilized" to abandon that mutual protection and let the predators run amok.

Not only will they not be put to death, but "life" isn't "life" it's "We'll allow a whole new generation of victims to reach the age of majority (18 here in the States) and then let you out and hope you've mended your ways."

Sinnnn sweetie, while I can't remember the case I remember there was a family of a missing child who used photoshop on the picture of their missing child to make them more photogenic, what's sad is I don't blame them one damn bit. It's that same mechanism, the cute kid is more important, and people get more worked up to find them.

There are so many kids in the Missing and Exploited Children's database, but we hear more about the latest one adopted by Angelina Joile.

I don't know who here has seen "A time to kill" but Samuel Jackson's character's little girl was raped, and he cut the rapists down with an M-16 after they got off. His lawyer managed to get him off by describing the brutality of the attack and then finished with the line "Now imagine she was white."

It was fiction, but a fictional portrayal of something all too real.

The reason *I* still get worked up is because I make sure I still get worked up. It is SO much easier to let go, just go numb and change the channel.

Apathy is easy, empathy is agonizing.

Bathed in moonlight
I'm proclaimed by angels cry
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul
will be mine the day you die

Kamelot, Descent of the Archangel
sinnnn
: 1379

« #77 : September 22, 2010, 05:59:59 AM »

I don't blame the parents one bit.  Get your kid back whatever way possible.  Like the movie Taken, he went threw awhole bunch of mfs to get his daughter back.  Its the image that everybody go for an so many kids get lost.  I have to applaud the detectives that don't give up on the lost causes.  Its so few of them that really care, that didn't let the job bring them down.  If a hooker walks in an say her child went missing, first thing they will say is, she must have runaway and get back to us in 24 hrs.  When they know that 24hrs for a child is precious time that can't be waste in looking for them.  Its like organ donarship back in the day, when it was the most " important"  ppl that would get it.(not finished making my whole point but hope you see where I am trying to say)
Janine Dee

« #78 : September 22, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »

I get you Sweetie, and it's true. Police are overworked, underpaid, unappreciated doing a job that people only give at best vocal support that often vanishes when they are the ones doing wrong. (Then the police are fascists.) The officers are exposed to society at it's worst and then given a  long list of rules that even the lawyers that would get them thrown off the force can't memorize and told they could get thrown off the force for violating even one.

And that's for the good ones.

There are also a sadly good sized number that consider the badge an excuse to take their frustrations out on others.

Then both the good and the bad can put in months and even years to take some predator down... only to have some sanctimonious black-robed bastard let the monster walk because of some legal loophole?

Especially when said monster has a record of the same damn crime?

I applaud the officers who can still care after all that.

What makes it even worse is there are the Susan Smith's out there who can and do vanish their own kids. Making a necessary part of any investigation clearing the parents.

Yeah... it would be easier to not care. So while I still rant and rave on some level I can get the desire to shut off, to try and make it so that pain can't get to you.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn

« #79 : September 23, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

I feel for the police officers.  I have ran into some that just make the good ones look bad.  Its sad really.  You got so many good ppl who take a job that puts their life at risk for the sake of others.  What happens, they get torn down by ppl that are suppose to help them protect us.  You got people screaming why aren't the cops doing anything.  My cousin was shot and the cops are not doing anything. 

There was an incident that was caught on tape.  Young guy was running an shooting some young teen, in broad daylight, down the street.  Street full of ppl.  Little girl was shot.  The young teen was killed.  There was more than twenty ppl on that street.  When the cops went to look for witnesses, no one saw anything.  It pisses me off when they bitch about the crime in their neighborhood and how the cops aren't doing anything.  Well if you live by the I'm no Snitch code, then yes dummies your neighborhood will be flooded by crime.

But also we had a cop who basicly was like a cop mob boss.  Ppl was scared shitless of him.  To this day they are trying to cover up his shit.  This mentality where cops protect there own should go only so far.  You got cops risking their lives every single day.  They don't know what will happen to them on a routine traffic stop.  They would end up going to bat for these corrupt cops.  I think deep down inside they just can't believe someone would tarnish the badge they so proudly wear. 

I understand cutting oneself off from tragedies.  You can only take so much.  Especially when you wish you could have done something.  But I think as a whole, we been cutting ourselves off to damn much.  You got ppl that will see a crime take place and watch that shit, like its a sports event. Or they will see a body being hauled off to the morgue and ppl will be jumping up and down wanting to see.  Not that they care, but they just want something to tell their friends later.  We arew getting use to to much bad shit.  The only time I saw real emotion from a newman was 9/11. The one and only time the real emothion besides laughter crossed their faces.
Janine Dee

« #80 : September 23, 2010, 12:42:45 AM »

As far as the cops, I also believe part of the sticking up for other cops is that other cops are the only ones they can truly rely on.

The public? If they aren't screaming that the cops aren't doing anything then they are living the Don't Snitch code.

The politicians? Depends on the polls. If they think it will help their reelection they will find a cop that's questionable enough (and as an example right now there is a Hispanic community in an uproar because police shot a man threatening them with a knife) to hang in the public square as a example to show they are tough on police corruption.

So I can understand how even the good ones may say "He's a scumbag, but he's still one of us."

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

Bear
: 3856

« #81 : September 23, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »

Having absolute faith that someone has your back is critical, but can never excuse a misdirection of justice. Never more apparent than locally when a sheriff was involved in a fatal boating accident, no blood level testing was done on him, he was bundled up whisked away unhurt, while the victims were taken to emergency, there the testing was mandatory. The fact they found alcohol in the victims blood put them at fault, serious mis-justice and tore any public sentiment of trust.

When apathy rules,...anarchy prevails. The code of silence whether it is in the ghetto or in the ranks of law enforcement is an issue. Social responsibility extends extends beyond the ranks of the immediate.

So no matter how painful, do not lose your empathy for that which surrounds us. It may be just for children, the aged,...or if fortunate enough all who work in this world. All you can do is take it case by case, and if someone betrays that, (ie...the acid lady) hold them alone to the subjugation of the apathy.

sinnnn

« #82 : September 23, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »

I live in the county.  An the code of silence rein supreme.  The county is worst than the city with that rules.  You find more of the creepies their because the neighbors stick their head in the sand.  I hear no evil, (but then sure can speak it), I see no evil. 
Janine Dee

« #83 : September 23, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »

It's not an excuse, it's an indictment. Of them, of us, of the whole system. Yes there is a code of silence, but there also tends to be a presumption of guilt in far too many cases. Like that case earlier where people seem to figure the police lives were only sorta threatened by the knife, so their using their guns was wrong. Or the fact that a resisting suspect can BE resisting, and still claim excessive force?

But yes, it is truly a case by case sort of thing. I just wish logic could rule more, like that case of Bear's where the Sheriff's blood was not tested. I mean any toddler could tell you that you checkout everyone. Or in that incident I mentioned with the knife wielder... if I have a gun and someone comes at me with a  knife, I WILL shoot them.

The problem is that looking back through history official legal systems have only been marginally concerned with justice. The primary difference between now and 1000 years ago is that there isn't an official "ruling class". So know it's all about favors and back scratching and high priced lawyers, but sadly is the same mechanic at work.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

JessiCapri
: 2178

« #84 : July 11, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »

This thread needs to be brought back to life! 

Boredom on this rainy covid infested Florida day found me looking for something other than the newest corruption-Trump-scandal to read with my morning coffee.  I tried to read Bolton's extremely badly written book but it was too hard to follow with coffee and oh so much worse without.

I have not read most of the posts here but most of those I did read had my fingers wanting to quote and reply.  Too many posts for one day in one thread so forgive a mash up reply.

First of all working in Retail sucks.  I did it for a while in high school. In those days customer service training taught you that the customer was always right.  This mind set, unfortunately for retailers, provided the customer with more than the buying power they deservedly had.  It gave them the right to abuse sales clerks in any way they wished.  Now that I am on the other side of the cashiers register the rules have changed. Of course. And it seems the customer is never right.  But working in retail still sucks.  I feel for those retailers having to deal with inconsiderate customers who refuse to wear a mask or be respectful and think the clerk should kiss their ass for the sale.

Someone said that Europeans consider themselves to be more civilized than the USA.  Yes they do think that.  And they are right.  They are more compassionate.  They are more civilized in every definitive meaning of the word.  And I say that as an American who has traveled to Europe more than a few times.  I can say that at this point in American history I would gladly live in the UK, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Greece or Canada than in these United States that used to be great  just a short 4 years ago.

As for the justice system in this country??  It's a joke if you have money but I think that is probably true in any corrupt system.  If you are of color it is a nightmare and you are rarely out of the system once caught up in it.  They make too much money in fines etc to ever let you go. I've never had the prison experience myself but I know many who have and I could share many a story but I will share just one.  My cousin was murdered by her estranged husband. She sat in a car, that her mother had just stepped out of to greet her husband. My Aunt and Uncle stood at the front of the car as they watched their son-in-law slip into the car and blow their daughters head away as she sat next to her grandmother. My Aunt started to scream and he shot at her as he slipped back out of the car. Thankfully he missed.  Thankfully the neighbors having seen his car parked in the street had called the police and they arrived on the seen as the murderer ran from the garage. He was arrested covered in blood and holding the gun.  Yet he was released on bail that night since it was Christmas Eve.  He ran of course.  Out of state to Florida where he dyed his hair and stayed with friends.  They caught him eventually and at trial he stood and threatened each member of his dead wife's family. Told us he would get us all when he got out.  They gave him life. HA. Joke.  He is out now having served his term they say.  But he lives and breathes and walks amongst us now.  My Aunt lives in fear everyday.  ME?  I pray he comes for me.  I am armed and ready to serve him the justice the law should have taken care of.

As for cops?  As in every profession there are good ones and bad ones.  I have encountered both but I am a white woman so get treated completely different than a black male would be treated.  The problem is that the cops are allowed to investigate themselves so little gets done to correct any problems.  This gives bad cops the ability to do as they please.  That and the code of silence against each other has to change. If a good cop sees a bad cop breaking the law they should be required to report it not shame them for doing the right thing.

: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
: