*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Looking for a french word
« previous next »
: [1]
: Looking for a french word  ( 7478 )
TightFit74
: 2415

« : May 22, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »

I could really use some help in finding the answer to a question that has been haunting me for a long time.

I used to go on holiday to the south of France, a region called l'Ardeche. I loved it there.. And the national holiday of France, le quatorze juillet, was always a very special evening. They used to make a special cocktail, only for that night and I am looking for the name. The cocktail is made of white wine, champagne (or a cremant), lemon and most likel;y white rum (not sure about that anymore).

What I think it is called, is sanriette (?), or sangriette. I am not sure. Can anybody help me to find the right word? I;d be much obliged.. Merci en avance..

The mind... the most powerful Aphrodisiac...
Keiko
: 316

Independent Fashion Designer

« #1 : May 22, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »

You're not talking about Sangria are you? I know it's not french but it sounds similar to what you are describing.

Bear
: 3856

« #2 : May 22, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »

There are a lot of variations to the Sangria Keiko...  but it is a generally a wine fruit punch (the variations are many but includes lemon)  added with brandy...I'll have to look to see if champagne is ever used... that would be a new one on me.

Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« #3 : May 22, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »

I asked one of my French friends on here , (  TY  Ben64 )

The drink you may be thinking of , we think is :-

VRPC    Not sure what the P stands for.   Think the others are Vodka, Rum, Champayne

Shake vodka, rum, lemon juice with ice, pour into a glass and add the champayne. mmmm  sounds delicious.

Maybe the wine was an added variation, unique to the area.

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
chien_lubrik
: 223

Evelyne

« #4 : May 22, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

Hello All dear peoples of the DreamWorld's Forum

I am french, and I never heard about a "special cocktail" about July 14th ( national commemoration for greeting the Bastille's tour ( a prison at this time, where Marquis of Sade was jailed ) been down for revolutionaries , so callled the fall of noble rules over the french folks ( think that just after there was a périod called "the terror" and the rise of Napoleon, you know now how special French peoples may be  ::) )

Anyway, at July 14th the tradition is about dancing and fireworks ( fireworks for memories of gun shoot and and cannon strikes, Dancing about the peoples pleasure to be liberated )

The cocktail you discribe Mister TightFit74 reminde me more a "Champagne soup" ( the name ). Not special for the commemoration, even in the place you were, this is maybe the occasion to drink this one particularly.

Ardeche is more know for red wine ( strong one ) but ... that's not the only place were red wine is made in France ...

Sangria is spanish and made for red spanish wine and fruits like oranges, citrus , apples ... I drunk a lot in Barcelona were it almost replace the water to drink  ;D

Please accept my best Humbly Regards.

Flesh open when Mind Warm
Adera
: 3047

« #5 : May 22, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »

Yeah, Sangria is Spanish, I drank it quite a lot when I was in Barcelona last summer and it was only made from red wine. No Idea what you're thinking of though Tight.
TightFit74

« #6 : May 22, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

It may well have been a regional tradition or a regional name for it. Sangria is indeed frnech, but is red in color. The cocktail I'm rememberring had the color of white wine.. Thanks for everyone that spent a thought on this :)

Lover
: 10350

« #7 : May 22, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »

Without rum I know it as "Cold duck" in Germany. Though I'm sure, there are several names for it. The literally translation would be "froid de canard".

Sangria is a spanish drink, similar to punch in england.

chien_lubrik
: 223

Evelyne

« #8 : May 23, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »

Hello Kinds peoples of the DreamWorld's Forum

After some search , I found a one that may match :

http://www.1001cocktails.com/cocktails/1538/recette-cocktail-soupe-angevine.html

LA SOUPE ANGEVINE
75 cl de crémant / Champagne
10 cl de jus de citrons ( lemon juice )
10 cl de sirop de sucre de canne (sugar sirup )
10 cl de triple sec (cointreau, grand marnier)

Anyway, Anger is very far from Ardeche so still may be a speciality  ;D

And also this one

PANAM ( Paris in slum language )
  champagne
 1 jus citrons
 1 cl de rhum blanc
 2 cl de triple sec (cointreau, grand marnier)

Please accept my best regards

Flesh open when Mind Warm
Urban
: 329

« #9 : May 26, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »

This is the infamous MARQUISETTE, perfect for a "KOLOSSAL"  headeach  ;D. It is a comon mix used the Ardeche/Haute-Loire area.
The mix is generaly used for popular event, like the 14th july or the "conscript party" (it was a party for people having 18 yo the same year). For such event the average quantity is +/- 50 liters of mix.
sometime when peoples are short of rhum they use local products like plums alcohol (rating from 45% to... who care !   :P).

The name origines are unknow but the Marquis de Lafayette castle is in this area (in the Haute-Loire).
TightFit74

« #10 : May 26, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

Urban

THANK YOU!!!!!!

that's it! The word I have been looking for! Ah, the memories :) Merci beacoup, beacoup!

: [1]  
« previous next »
: