*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Diamond Jubilee . Queen of England's 60 year reign.
« previous next »
: [1]
: Diamond Jubilee . Queen of England's 60 year reign.  ( 6937 )
Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« : May 26, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »

Hiya's 

I thought I would post my country's celebrations of Our Queen's  60 year reign over the UK and as Head of the Commonwealth Countries. You may see it on TV and wonder what it all may mean :)  Well its a big event for us and if there is one thing the English like doing is showing the world our wonderful pageantry and it is worth seeing, even if you arnt into Monachies.

Our Queen came to the throne on 6 Feb 1952 at the age of 25, following the death of her father, King George 6th. Her Coronation  took place on 2 June 1953.
She celebrated her Silver Jubilee ( 25 years ) in 1977 and her Golden Jubilee ( 50 years ) in 2002.

She is not only Queen of England and the UK, but is recognised as Head of State of 15 Commonwealth Countries, known as Commonwealth Realms  which include Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Jamaica.  She is also Head of the Commonwealth itself, an association of 54 independent countries. Membership  of this is purely voluntary and member governments can choose to leave at any time. Most are these countries were part  of the British Empire.

Queen Victoria is the longest reigning monarch, reigning over us for 63 years and 216 days.
Our current Queen Elizabeth II is the second longest reigning monarch having reigned so far 60 years, 108 days and counting...

Our Diamond Jubilee celebrations will centre around an extended weekend on 2, 3 , 4 and 5 June 2012.  There will be events on  TV and private parties all over the country. There will be a Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant on Sun 3 June, probably televised too, and thousands of beacons will be lit around the world to commemorate her 60 year reign.

If any of you are in the UK during this time, or any member state celebrating, may I offer you a warm English welcome, a plate of hearty English food, a jug of finest Ale  and a merry night of dancing and friviloity....

God Save the Queen.

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
Adera
: 3047

« #1 : May 26, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »

Sounds like quite the event, I'm happy for your queen and England. :)

These kinds how things are a huge thing in Sweden as well, there has been quite the commotion in the media and such when Crown Princess Victoria had her first child Princess Estelle in February this year. :)
Brandybee

« #2 : May 26, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

Congratulations on the birth of your Swedish princess, Estelle. A beautiful name.

When Our Duke and Duchess produce an heir to the throne, we will celebrate that too.

Adera , Please, tell me more about your Monachy, Id love to hear about them :)   and other countries too.

PS.. Adera, Congratulations on Sweden winning the Eurovision Song Contest :)
« : May 27, 2012, 09:51:29 AM Brandybee »

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
TightFit74
: 2415

« #3 : May 26, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

Congratulations with your Queen, Brandy and all other brits :)

We have a monarchie as well, which originates from the 17th century. The 'common name' of the dutch family is 'of Orange', the reason why we wear orange for instance at football matches (soccer for usa).

We are waitingg for our Queen to step soon, she's been on the thrown for almost 35 years now, and her sun is ready. he will be the first king since a century. Only daughters were born since 1900's. Recently there was an accident in the royal family, the second oldest prince (not the heir to the thrown) was caught in an avelanche and is since then in a coma. A sad time for the royal family.

We hope to have a celebration soon, when the prince is fginally crowned King..

The mind... the most powerful Aphrodisiac...
Brandybee

« #4 : May 27, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

Tight, Ty for posting about your monachy.  I'm sorry about your Prince .. my thoughts and prayers are with him.

If something like that happened to our Prince Harry, we would be devastated too. He is the loveable rogue :)

I have heard of Wiiliam of Orange ... Is he of your Royal family?

Azrielle
: 262

NSPD - Retired

« #5 : May 27, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »

Greetings from Her Majesty's Canadian Subjects.

From the time I was a little girl, God Save the Queen was something we all learned... And something I hold very dear to me as my own Family hails from the the Highlands of Scotland.

For the celebrations, my entire Family and our Clan will be celebrating Her Majesty's 60 year reign as our Soverign, wearing nothing but our very best to proudly display our heritage and loyalty to the Crown.

Long Live our Noble Queen, God Save our Queen!

Azrielle
« : May 27, 2012, 12:50:39 PM Azrielle »

Coming Soon to a Shop Near You! Mwah!
Pafe
: 548

« #6 : May 28, 2012, 04:51:00 AM »

Hiya's...

I agree with Covems, I was one of the 22.77 million.  I watched the entire broadcast and a lot of the pre-wedding coverage and a lot of the post-wedding coverage.

Queen Elizabeth II is a person that I greatly admire.  She carries herself with a grace and dignity that I envy.  Her Diamond Jubilee will get a lot of coverage here in the U.S. and I will be among the millions watching.  And Brandybee, you are so right that the Pagentry of the English and all the Royals from all the countries for that matter, are a sight to see.  We here in the U.S. have nothing that matches that.

So I join the chorus from around the world...

God Save The Queen

Thanks for letting me share,
Pafe

TightFit74
: 2415

« #7 : May 28, 2012, 05:40:02 AM »

William of Orange is the one who initiated the rebellion against the Spanish conquerors in the 16thy century, which led to the '80 year-war'. in 1648 the northern part of the netherlands seperated and formed a republic. In 1815 the Netherlands became a monarchy, the family of Orange claiming that position. The famous quote of William I is: Je maintiendrai. Which means: "I will uphold". It is still used on the passports of dutch nationals.

The current heir to the thrown is named after him, Willem-Alexander. And as they say, behind every strong man is a strong woman. In this case, the choice for an Arentinnian, fiesty woman turned him from a softie, into someone that we can trust the country with. They have 3 children, all daughters. So, if the monarchy still exists by that time, after a King we will have a Queen again.

The mind... the most powerful Aphrodisiac...
Lover
: 10350

« #8 : May 29, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »

I'm not big in monarchy, but I respect your emotions for it and send my regards to all English people and to all people of the British commonwealth.

Brandybee

« #9 : May 30, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Thank you, all of you, for your good wishes to our Queen and her nations.  Its heartening to read all the positive feelings...  The jubilee weekend is nearly upon us ...   Good Health to you all, Cheers ( raising my glass ),  and I hope you & yours all enjoy it as much as we do whether its  celebrating her 60 year reign, watching the events on TV , or just spending time with the people you love ...

Big hugs ...  right, got a lot of flags to put up, food to prepare, munchies to get, punch to make and beer and ale to buy... hic cup  .. oops .. starting a bit early  hehe ... well... we are having a hot spell here for a change :)

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: