*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Neil Armstrong 1930 - 2012
« previous next »
: [1]
: Neil Armstrong 1930 - 2012  ( 3188 )
Pafe
: 548

« : August 25, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »

Hiya's...

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

His family reported the death at 2:45 p.m. ET. A statement said he died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news: "That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

In those first few moments on the moon, during the climax of heated space race with the then-Soviet Union, Armstrong stopped in what he called "a tender moment" and left a patch to commemorate NASA astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts who had died in action.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said "as long as there are history books, Neil Armstrong will be included in them."

Bolden said in a statement that Armstrong will be "remembered for taking humankind's first small step on a world beyond our own."

Armstrong was "one of America's greatest explorers" who readily accepted President John F. Kennedy's challenge to send an American to the moon, Bolden said.

Michael Collins, a crew mate of Armstrong's on the Apollo 11 flight, said through NASA's senior spokesman, Bob Jacobs: "He was the best, and I will miss him terribly."

Armstrong and his wife, Carol, married in 1999, made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he had largely stayed out of public view in recent years. His birthday was Aug. 5.

Armstrong is survived by his two sons, a stepson and stepdaughter, 10 grandchildren, a brother and a sister, NASA said.

The family on Saturday issued this statement:

"We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.

He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Rest In Peace Neil Armstrong, a hero for the world.

Thanks for letting me share,
Pafe

jayc
: 1600

« #1 : August 26, 2012, 01:16:21 AM »

from what i have read on the subject, Neil was one cool customer, nerves of steel, no accident he was picked for the 1st lunar landing. considering the fact that your cell phone has more computing power then the lunar lander had at the time (the late 60s) even makes it more of an argument of mans greatest feat for the present. there are only a handful of men who can say " yeah when i was on the moon" ulitmate bragging rights at any saloon. R.I.P. Neil Armstrong  an american hero and a pioneer for mankind
Lover
: 10350

« #2 : August 26, 2012, 04:11:02 AM »

R.I.P. Mr. Armstrong - perhaps now you are close to the place you entered first :)

By chance yesterday I changed my banner "Listen to the man on the moon". At this time I didn't know about his death - but now I think it fits - if you remember his first words.

Neil also was the man who flight as fast as no man before - five times the speed of sound in 1963. He, and President Kennedy of course, awoke a whole nation, made them dreaming of a big goal - and living it.
If we would have this big dream today, not only for one nation but for the whole world, we would conquer many problems and live as one.

Something we are doing here in AChat in little ;)

: [1]  
« previous next »
: