*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Organizations & Events
| |-+  Events (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Game at Crystal Lake
« previous next »
: [1]
: Game at Crystal Lake  ( 8829 )
Covems
: 1688

« : November 02, 2013, 07:46:59 AM »

There was a topic started about this, but it disappeared, so I will start one here.  We tried a little game in a Dungeons & Dragons style of play, only using the honor system for our rolls, and text.  With a few pictures sprinkled in for atmosphere.  Nice job DM!

I have considered starting something like that game here in the forum.  We ran that brief game as an experiment to see if the system would actually work, and I think it did... only we all spent what seemed like a week in the forum.  The next one, if we do it again, will be longer and more spaced out.  Our reason for rushing through it was so we could rejoin the postings at the AChat Bar & Grill.

To do a long scenario would probably take months, if not a year, because we'd only be posting once a day or so.

What we're asking for here is some feedback from the Forum.  Did you see any potential for starting something like this?  And for all those that played... Terri... Pafe... Satorie... Mooncalf and Pookie (who was our DM... Thank you Pook)  I would appreciate any feedback that you would like to share with the forum.  Or... you could PM it to me.

*Be good or at least be good at what you are doing*
mooncalf
: 91

Always a country girl at heart.

« #1 : November 02, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »

I saw the other topic, too.  Was about to reply but it disappeared.  I figured you folks were making changes to it.  I must say, I did enjoy the "game".  That was the first time I ever did anything like that, and I found it to have a certain element of surprise to it.  I suspect tho that a longer version wouldn't be so easy.

I'm with you Cove, that it did seem like I was forever in the forum, either reading or posting.  I would be willing to try a longer, and much slower version, if'n you decide to do another one.  So count me in.

OT:  Thank you Covems, for my little horsey girl.

Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« #2 : November 02, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »

I found it very interesting and would encourage such games in the forum.

You may have to write a generic intro and explanation type post so that complete novices to the game can understand it though and understand what is expected of them.
Then maybe start a new topic for the game and the mission outlined in plain language, ( no Dungeon type speak unless defined ) in the intro to it.

I wish you love and luck in future endeavours. I think it would be an exciting addition here.

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
Rukya
: 2891

Paddle Queen

« #3 : November 02, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »

Hmmm what will be the rules ?

STOP TO FAVORIZE THE MF ORIENTATION , FF PAY THE SAME PRICE THAN THEM AS ALL OTHERS ORIENTATIONS !!!!
Nat33
: 2208

French Nympho Shemale

« #4 : November 02, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

Yes explain basically because I will be interested and I don't speak English well and not just me  ;)

I'm here for the pleasure of my body and my... mind
Stone
: 1842

« #5 : November 03, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

I would be interested in taking part and I'm sure Jayc would join in too.

I concur with the others,  as I have no experience of Dungeon and Dragon type games you would have to explain in baby steps and plain language so I can understand what I have to do and what my goals are.

Pookie77
: 463

« #6 : November 03, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »

Hiya everybody  :)

I think I can shed some light on the entire D&D experience by directing your attention to this article on "Howstuffworks"  It it located here :

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/leisure/brain-games/beginners-guide-dungeons-and-dragons.htm
(darn system won't link... you'll need to cut and paste)

It's an informative article on the orgins of the game, and a brief overview of how the system works.  Read that first, then come back to this post.  It will only take you a few minutes and will make everything that follows in this post more understandable. 

I apologize to the non-English speakers, I don't know where or how to find a similar article in various languages.

What we did was utilize a few sites to expidite matters.  One is a site that will help you generate a character.  That one is located here:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/fe/articles/1echargen.shtml

This site utilizes the Advanced D&D rules for the character generation.  Now the article at "Howstuffworks" says that the two game systems (AD&D and D&D) are incompatable, but that is nonsense for us, we can alter what we need to in order to make things work.  The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons allows for more types of characters and classes.  We just adapted the systems to include them, while keeping the D&D system (which is more basic) for the game play.  i.e. Satoire's "Half Elf" character would not be allowed in the basid D&D version.

The goal of the game is quite simple.  Keep your character alive!  You will embark on an adventure or quest (think "The Lord of the Rings).  Where you will need to battle various monsters, solve puzzles, and do all of this as a team.

We used another site for the dice rolls (which we also kept simple), and that site is here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

I asked the players to post all the numbers for all the dice.  I was able to allocate their movements, battle, hit point strikes, and almost anything else I needed to complete their turn from those sets of numbers.  I have a reference I used to generate the monsters, then adapted them for the scenario.  That reference also shows the results for the dice numbers.

We were discussing amongst ourselves that some members may not want to use their User Name as a character name.  I think that would work, also.  Terri found a site that will help you to generate a name for almost anything.  I used it for the scenario at Crystal Lake to get names for various things.  That site is here:

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

So there you have it, a brief overview of what we did, and how the system works.  Oh!!  ...and for you Gnome lovers... your character can be a Gnome!!  Weeeeeeeeeeee!!
Hope this helps ya!!
« : November 03, 2013, 08:17:14 AM Pookie77 »

Pafe
: 548

« #7 : November 07, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »

Hiya's...

I've been giving this some thought.  I thought it went very well in that little adventure we had, and I'm sure a longer, more drawn out version would be just as much fun as that one was, without having to check the Forum very 15 minutes.  ;D

I want to thank Pookie for doing such a great job on the DM part.  Your posts were concise, yet near the end of it I could sense a bit of mischief starting to show.  I want to thank the rest that played, also.  I have to admit the PM's were hysterical, you kept it very interesting.

I'm curious about how large of a party you could do.  I saw that the site recommended 6 but I think it could go larger.  Or maybe run two games at the same time.  Either way, I would love to play again.

Thanks for letting me share,
Pafe

Lover
: 10350

« #8 : November 07, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »

I watched your game and thought it's interesting and funny. I support each kind of game, either as director and/or as player. If you start a new one, count me in :)

Rukya
: 2891

Paddle Queen

« #9 : November 07, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »

Hmmm i dont understand the rules and anyway , my english is not good enough to play

STOP TO FAVORIZE THE MF ORIENTATION , FF PAY THE SAME PRICE THAN THEM AS ALL OTHERS ORIENTATIONS !!!!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: