*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  UK Floods
« previous next »
: [1]
: UK Floods  ( 3821 )
Stone
: 1842

« : February 12, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

Some of you may have heard by now that the UK is being hit with floods and storms.  Homes are flooded, people evacuated, villages cut off and still more rain and wind is forecast.

I was talking to some members about the devastation.  As usual the good old British spirit is pulling through and people pooling together to help. Our emergency services and military are working alongside the locals  to help where they can.

What’s causing England’s floods at the moment?

A combination of heavy rain, bitter storms, and coastal surges. Met Office figures show that January and December combined were the wettest since records began in 1910.

What are the different types of flooding?

• Tidal flooding comes from the sea and tidal rivers.

• Fluvial flooding from rivers bursting their banks or overflowing

• Groundwater flooding happens when the earth is saturated and can hold no more water

• Flash flooding is usually at its worst when drainage systems in urban areas are overwhelmed by sudden heavy rainfall, often worsened by the concreting over of large areas of soil and gardens that would otherwise have helped to absorb the water

As the government’s Centre for Ecology and Hydrology notes, “the full gamut of flood manifestations – tidal, pluvial (flash), fluvial and groundwater – has been experienced over the last eight weeks.

Lover
: 10350

« #1 : February 12, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »

Im following the news as I know some of our members are from England.  I hope they all are safe, but of course also think about all concerned people. It reminds me of the big flood we had in germany last year and I hope it will be over soon.

Its not just injuries and damages, but also many little things which are lost forever. Wishing everyone the best.

hukk
: 2078

Later, Space Cowboy

« #2 : February 12, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »

As someone who experienced Hurricane Sandy over here in New Jersey back in 2012, I can tell ya' facing these floods (we faced groundwater flooding) is no picnic. I wish my English friends the best. I know you won't allow this to dampen your spirits. Chin up, and Godspeed.8)
mrsexlover
: 4985

« #3 : February 12, 2014, 10:45:25 PM »

As i'm from a Country that seen some bad flooding in history and are still strugling with the water, more then 50% is below sea level.

I can sympatice with the victims, lets all hope and pray it will be over soon.

mrsexlover, loving all girls, any shape,size or color

Come and join the chat at the town sqaure http://achatsquare.chatango.com
hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #4 : February 13, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »

I hope and pray for our friends who live in this area of UK cause they can be safe.....

There was noflood where i livew but too often in Italy it happen and it's always sad to hear about people who lost all (ome or work) and life......hope this will end soon!

Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« #5 : February 13, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

Thanks guys for all your well wishes. We are still getting the extreme weather with floods and storms.  The South of the country has been hit the worst with properties being under water for weeks now.

I have been lucky, living on a hill but I have suffered wind damage with fences and brickwork needing to be replaced or repaired.

I feel for the farmlands. Farmers will suffer the loss of crops and incomes and of course, they are last on the list for flood defences with help going to the towns as priority.

The cost of living here is bound to go up in this aftermath.

@ Stone,  love the Swan pics,  inspecting new territory.

Roll on summer,  we need to dry out   ;D ;D 

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
Lydiarose
: 974

Bitch's Corner

« #6 : February 14, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »

here today the rain is back again and the wind is at 80mph, Trees down all over the place, was out this morning driving and had to pull in beacuse the rain was so heavy could not see. People say it mush be nice to live next to sea, over the last few weeks no

: [1]  
« previous next »
: