*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Stargazers
« previous next »
: [1]
: Stargazers  ( 4190 )
Stone
: 1842

« : August 11, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »

Meteor Shower in Northern Hemisphere.

The Perseids is an annual meteor shower that peaks around mid-August. It is regarded as one of the brightest and most visible meteor showers.

The Perseid cloud, consisting of particles ejected from the comet Swift-Tuttle, is expected to be particularly spectacular this year as the heavens align to please astronomers across the country.

A new moon on the night of August 14 will create perfect viewing conditions, while the International Space Station is also expected to make an appearance, flying over the UK at about 10.30pm.

Stargazers can expect to see as many as 100 meteors an hour streak across the night sky, each leaving a trail.

Meteors are bits of ice and dust, sometimes as small as a grain of sand or as large as a pea, entering the Earth's atmosphere at 134,000mph and burning up.

The Perseids appear to originate from within the star constellation Perseus, hence the shower's name.

Though happening from July 17 to August 24, and visible any night this week, it will peak overnight on Wednesday and into the small hours of Thursday morning - it will be best seen when the sky is at its darkest.

The International Space Station will make a cameo appearance around 10.30pm, moving across the sky from the west below the bright star of Arcturus, towards the south. It will be best seen in the south of England and will be the brightest light in the sky before it moves out of sight shortly after 10.30pm.

The shower will be most visible in the south of England. Look for the shower's "radiant" from the north-east corner of Perseus. But really the best place to see it is dependant on your location on the ground - anywhere away from the light pollution of towns and cities, where the sky is darkest, will help you see the meteors more clearly.

In the Northern Hemisphere, the annual August Perseid meteor shower probably ranks as the all-time favourite meteor shower of the year. This major shower takes place during the lazy, hazy days of summer, when many families are on vacation. And what could be more luxurious than taking a siesta in the heat of the day and watching this summertime classic in the relative coolness of night?

No matter where you live worldwide, the 2015 Perseid meteor shower will probably be fine on the mornings of August 11, 12, 13 and 14, with the nod going to August 13.

On a dark, moonless night, you can often see 50 or more meteors per hour from northerly latitudes, and from southerly latitudes in the Southern Hemisphere, perhaps about one-third that many meteors.

Fortunately, in 2015, the waning crescent moon comes up shortly before sunrise, so you’re guaranteed of dark skies for this year’s Perseid meteor shower. Thus, on the Perseids’ peak mornings, moonlight will not obscure this year’s Perseid meteors.

General rules for Perseid-watching.

You need no special equipment to enjoy this nighttime spectacle. You don’t even have to know the constellations. But you’ll definitely want to find a dark, open sky to fully enjoy the show. It also helps to be a night owl. Give yourself at least an hour of observing time, for these meteors in meteor showers come in spurts and are interspersed with lulls.

An open sky is essential because these meteors fly across the sky in many different directions and in front of numerous constellations. If you trace the paths of the Perseid meteors backward, you’d find they come from a point in front of the constellation Perseus. But once again, you don’t need to know Perseus or any other constellation to watch this or any meteor shower.

Enjoy the comfort of a reclining lawn chair and look upward in a dark sky, far away from pesky artificial lights. Remember, your eyes can take as long as twenty minutes to truly adapt to the darkness of night. So don’t rush the process. All good things come to those who wait.

Cheers everyone. Happy Star Gazing.

FoxyRoxxy
: 10457

DESERT ROSE

« #1 : August 11, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »

Beautiful.

Stone so this is what my Kid was talking about Thank you

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
Skydance
: 250

Fluffy White Cumulus or Wild Stormy Nimbus ?

« #2 : August 12, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »

Saw this tonight. I went stargazing and saw about 20 shooting stars.

Thank you Stone for letting me know. I probably would not have given it a thought if I had not have read it here.

Good luck to anyone else looking.  It is quite amazing.

Some people just look up in wonder, others simply dance in the sky amongst the stars
Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« #3 : August 19, 2015, 03:56:54 AM »

Thanks for letting us know. I managed to watch it, it was fantastic.

Hope others saw it too.

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
jayc
: 1600

« #4 : September 26, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »

September 2015 lunar eclipse

A total lunar eclipse will take place on September 28, 2015. It is the latter of two total lunar eclipses in 2015, and the final in a tetrad. Other eclipses in the tetrad are those of April 15, 2014, October 8, 2014, and April 4, 2015. The moon will appear to be larger than normal as the moon will be just 59 minutes past its closest approach to Earth in 2015 at mid-eclipse.

Date: Sun, Sep 27
Partial eclipse starts: 8:11 PM EDT
Total eclipse starts: 10:11 PM EDT
Duration: 1 hr 12 min
FoxyRoxxy
: 10457

DESERT ROSE

« #5 : September 27, 2015, 10:48:36 PM »

Saw it it was beautiful everyone was excited for this ...Me ...I say call me when Jesus come I am waiting for that :)

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
Vaughan
: 2808

Reborn by her Master like larva to a Butterfly...

« #6 : April 20, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »

The Lyrid meteor shower comes to skies in the Northern Hemisphere. Apri 21 -22

Lyrid meteor shower 2020 coincides with a new moon on Tuesday giving stargazers especially dark skies to watch the celestial spectacle - with up to 15 shooting stars visible per hour

The Lyrid meteor shower comes to skies in the Northern Hemisphere this month

Experts say the peak will be between April 21-22 at the hours before dusk

The shower should be more visible than usual as it coincides with a new Moon

Last years Lyrids happened at the same time as a bright waning gibbous moon — a phase that comes very close to being a full moon.

The Lyrids are rock and dust left behind by the comet C/1861 G (Thatcher) as the Earth drifts through a cloud of debris left behind by the icy space rock. 

Every year, the Earth intersects with Thatcher's dusty tail and particles of the comet are seen streaking through the sky where the usually burn up.

Specks of meteor travel at about 110,000 mph. 

While meteor showers create streaks in the sky that can be seen on Earth from miles away, the meteoroids that cause them are actually quite small.

Some meteors leave brilliant trails behind them in the form of ionized gas.

‘Meteor showers on Earth are caused by streams of meteoroids hitting our atmosphere,’ explains an interactive website that plots all the meteor streams that orbit the sun.

‘These meteoroids are sand- and pebble-sized bits of rock that were once released from their parent comet.

‘Some comets are no longer active and are now called asteroids'.

To see the shooting stars you will need to be in an area of low light pollution with a clear sky with minimal cloud cover.

According to astronomers, optimal viewing is in the few hours before dawn no matter where you are in the Northern Hemisphere.

While telescopes would enhance the fidelity for viewers, the meteors can usually be seen with the naked eye.

To locate where the meteors will be passing through, viewers can use the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra to find what astronomers call the 'radiant.'

Her kisses left something to be desired ... mmm ... the rest of her.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: