*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Forum News (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  ATT:- Calling All Writers And Aspiring Writers
« previous next »
: [1]
: ATT:- Calling All Writers And Aspiring Writers  ( 2498 )
AusWoody
: 2044

Never push a loyal person to the breaking point

MSN Messenger - mick.woodman@gmail.com
« : February 22, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »

G'Day Fellow Wordsmiths,

Ever since I could remember I have loved to read, books of all genres horror action thriller science fiction and fantasy. 

Actually my favourite is science fantasy and I blame my first grade teacher Miss Brown, a lovely kind woman who was especially kind to me, every afternoon she would read to the class for 30 minutes.  The first book she read to us was

The Magic Faraway Tree
 A children's novel by Enid Blyton, first published in 1943.

It is the second book in the The Faraway Tree series of novels, in which Jo, Bessie and Fanny (renamed Joe, Beth and Frannie in later editions), the protagonists of the series, have their cousin Dick (renamed Rick in later editions) over to stay with them. They then introduce him to Silky, Moonface, Saucepan Man and all their other friends in the Magic Faraway Tree.

In 2003 it was voted #66 in the BBC's Big Read poll to find the UK's favourite book.

The second was

The Hobbit,
or There and Back Again is a fantasy novel and children's book by English author J. R. R. Tolkien. It was published on 21 September 1937 to wide critical acclaim, being nominated for the Carnegie Medal and awarded a prize from the New York Herald Tribune for best juvenile fiction. The book remains popular and is recognized as a classic in children's literature.

Set in a time "Between the Dawn of Færie and the Dominion of Men", The Hobbit follows the quest of home-loving hobbit Bilbo Baggins to win a share of the treasure guarded by the dragon, Smaug. Bilbo's journey takes him from light-hearted, rural surroundings into more sinister territory.[2] The story is told in the form of an episodic quest, and most chapters introduce a specific creature, or type of creature, of Tolkien's geography. By accepting the disreputable, romantic, fey and adventurous sides of his nature and applying his wits and common sense, Bilbo gains a new level of maturity, competence and wisdom. The story reaches its climax in the Battle of the Five Armies, where many of the characters and creatures from earlier chapters re-emerge to engage in conflict.

I truly believe that this experience as a 6 yo had a dramatic influence on my entire life, I became a voracious reader devouring books as fast as I could, and as a result a dream was born deep in my soul, to write, to create a story that would affect others as I had been affected by the books I had read.

like many dreams it sat deep in my soul and I knew I was 'gunna' do it one day write that novel that would shake the world  and change lives, yes 50 years later I was still gunna do it one day :)

then I stumbled into achat and then into forum and there was a thread where people posted their stories they had written, I had one little story I had written (not bad for 50 years of gunna be a writer lol) and I posted it there, yes I was terrified people would say it was terrible no one would bother reading it people would throw rotten tomatoes at me, but I faced that fear and posted it anyway.

And yes some ppl didn't like it, but there were some who did like it, you can’t please everyone right? There was one person in particular who read it and liked it, she tracked me down and told me it was good, she invited me to enter the erotic story contest, and was supportive and offered advice and even offered to proof read and edit it for me.

so I wrote a story  and submitted it  to the contest, and I grew a little as a writer, and to my surprise many people read it and liked it  and I came second  in the contest.  My first contest and I came second, my belief in myself grew, maybe that long buried dream could one day come true, maybe some of the ideas that were rattling around in my head could become stories others would enjoy.

What I’m trying to say to those who have a similar dream is to take action, write a story or a poem and publish it here, this is a safe place to have a go, test the water and overcome those things holding you back from trying.

Spread your wings and fly, every time you try you get a little better get more confidence and if you persist keep facing up to those challenges and fears you will achieve that dream.

Good luck and I expect to see you as a Pulitzer Prize winner

PS  There are people here who will help you all you need to do is ask

Join us in the The Achat Square meeting place for broad-minded  adults - fun and games - http://achatsquare.chatango.com

Mean What I Say  -  Say What I Me
: [1]  
« previous next »
: