*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Discussions about AChat
| |-+  Share your creative ideas (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Final Addendum to Time for a few changes
« previous next »
: [1]
: Final Addendum to Time for a few changes  ( 3432 )
AusWoody
: 2044

Never push a loyal person to the breaking point

MSN Messenger - mick.woodman@gmail.com
« : April 23, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »

Firstly i would like to apologise to Brandybee, xxxx and xxxxx for my doubts regarding the duplicate ip's  thanks to jaynies research and diligence  the following article has been found explaining  why the ip's are the same

Brandy asked me not to post this  but i feel it needs to be posted  so people will know the truth  in this matter. Special thanks to Jaynie for finding this article and bringing it to my attention.

Again ladies my apologies i know the damage is done, no excuses  just a simple apology

ITS OVER, FINISHED,  BASTA

UK ISP BT Quietly Forces CGNAT IPv4 Internet Address Sharing Pilot

Customers of BT Retail’s Total Broadband Option 1 package have reportedly become experimental subjects for the ISP’s new pilot of the controversial IPv4 internet address sharing (Carrier Grade NAT) technology, which could cause problems because it allows a single IP address to be shared between several users.

Most fixed line ISPs assign a unique Internet Protocol (IP) address to your connection each time you go online via the IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) standard. Sadly these addresses are running out and its replacement, IPv6, is not directly compatible with the old standard.

As a result ISPs will need to run dual-stack networks, which allow both the IPv4 and IPv6 standards to communicate, although this also means that IPv4 addresses are still likely to be needed for quite a few years to come.

Meanwhile the number of spare IPv4’s is still in decline and many ISPs are expected to solve this by adopting CGNAT to help share the remaining IPv4 addresses (much as mobile broadband operators already do). ISPreview.co.uk wrote a fairly extensive article about all this in January 2013 – The Dangers of Adopting IPv4 Internet Address Sharing.

BTRetail Statement on CGNAT (Thinkbroadband)

“We have decided that we will pilot this new technology with our Option 1 Total Broadband customers who on average use the internet least. We believe they are the least likely group of customers to experience any issues or disruptions due to CGNAT, which can interfere with complex online activities like hosting servers at home. We do not think these customers will notice any difference at all in their broadband performance, but if any of these customers did have any resulting issues, we would be happy to restore their connection to an individual IP address.

BT is also working to introduce IPv6 internet addresses during 2013, but customers will need both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for the foreseeable future.”

BT specifically states that “certain” customers will find that they could be sharing a single IP address with up to nine other users, although happily those who wish to opt-out of the seemingly enforced pilot can do so by visiting their related CGNAT FAQ Page and filling-in an opt-out form (you might well wish to do this).

The ISP claims to be “confident that you’ll not notice any impact to the reliability, speed, privacy or security of your BT Broadband service“, although it immediately contradicts this a few lines later by saying, “some applications, such as online games, VPNs, file transfer (FTP) or dynamic DNS services … may have problems” (note to BT: online multiplayer games are pretty popular).

One problem is that some internet services, such as those mentioned above (or other things like web-polls and online authentication systems), assume that every user will have a unique IP address and this can cause problems for those who don’t. For example, if somebody “sharing” you IP is banned from a service then you too could end up suffering from the same restriction. Port forwarding on your router, which is often needed for some online games and other services, can also run into difficulties with CGNAT.

In reality this may be a problem that ISPs, especially the big boys, cannot easily avoid and indeed most have already expressed a desire to adopt this solution. As a result internet providers are putting a lot of effort into ensuring that their chosen method does not disrupt services for existing customers, although some problems may be unavoidable. Check out our above linked article for more detail and extended feedback from ISPs.

In an ideal world ISPs might offer a special non-CGNAT service for customers, such as online gamers, who want to be able to use the internet as it was intended. At least BT has, for now, had the good sense to give their customers an opt-out solution.

« : April 24, 2016, 09:24:14 AM Brandybee »

Join us in the The Achat Square meeting place for broad-minded  adults - fun and games - http://achatsquare.chatango.com

Mean What I Say  -  Say What I Me
blayne
: 150

« #1 : April 24, 2016, 04:36:38 AM »

Jaynie
: 1669

« #2 : April 24, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »

To simplify things.. For years, the internet has operated on what can be described as a 2-lane (32 bit) IPv4 highway, built for transferring data from one place to another.  The original developers of the internet super highway never dreamed that in the future the whole entire world would then be trying to use this simple 2 lane highway to get from point A to point B. 

It was determined that unless something drastic was to be done, there would soon be no more room on this highway for everyone who wanted to use it.  So construction around the world began.. turning this 2-lane highway into a much wider (128 bit) IPV6 expansion.  The rest of the world for the most part has been successful with the construction and travelers have no worries about traffic jams or a lack of space for their (cars) on new highway. 

Not all countries have finished construction on the new highway, the UK most surprisingly being one of them.  Three years ago.. The department of transportation (ISP aka Internet Service Providers) in the UK were concerned that they would run out of room on the 2-lane highway before the new one was built.. (as of today, it still has not been completed)  So, they introduced Carpooling.  lol.   :D   They decided as long as it was comfortable for groups of people to be shoved into one vehicle.. they could share the ride (groups of people at any given time can share the same IP address no matter where their location is in the UK.)  Thus freeing up enough space on the highway for it to continue functioning until the new 128-bit highway was built and everyone can go back to the joy and privacy of being in their own cars again.

This works for the most part, unless someones life depends on being identified in case of a horrific car crash for proper medical treatment.  Or the cops pull them over and runs their ID only to find out there is warrant for said IP address and an arrest is made without any further investigation.   :P

I began investing because I believe every person deserves the benefit of the doubt.  Also my common sense was screaming at me. 

For this accusation to be true..  It would require one person to have a full time real life job, care for 2 teen age children, be a full time moderator in the forum, part time moderator in the square, and be full time juggler/ spouse to 3 different men for over a period of 4 years... not to mention having some sort of real life in between, and be able to adopt  three completely different writing styles.   

It just didn't make sense..   And i cannot understand how anyone would so easily jump to THAT conclusion rather than seek an alternative explanation of why 2 people (was never found or shown that all 3 shared IP's on the same day..the assumption came from linking one to another ) might have the same IP Address on any given day.   I hope this clears things up once and for all. 

« : April 24, 2016, 10:13:38 AM Jaynie »
Tonyg
: 90

« #3 : April 24, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »

LOL

After Jaynie's great post named "IP sharing for dummies", I would like to share my own experience.
For a year now i take the SAME taxi to work and there are ALWAYS the SAME copassengers in it.  ;D

I'm happy we settled this once and for all. That article about a pilot technology that is not used from all ISPs, was so powerful that changed the POV even for the determined and great Admin who miraculously saw the light he was looking for to change his opinion back to normal and forgetting everything else he said.

Maybe i should stay quiet in front of all the "experts" in the IP Networking field, the "googlers" that seek for and simplify information that suits them the best, the decisive Admins that desperately seeking for a "miracle" to hold on to and change their POV overnight, and the neutral forum mods that could easily confirm everything, just taking a look at their logs comparing all the info was given to them.

I know this is not a court and we cant convict anyone. Neither this is the purpose for all this. I know also that is hard for the forum mods to not stand for their colleague. I would probably do the same.

I wont start with any technical info either, explaining what are the odds for 3 members of ONE forum to be in the SAME provider which MIGHT use the named PILOT technology in their SAME region and share the SAME IP from a pool of 9 IPs that CHANGE DYNAMICALY among hundreds of thousands of other subscribers, ALL of them asking a new IP from the SAME pool the SAME day. Considering that there might be 1 million+ people on the same package and so the chances of anybody sharing an IP and being members of the same forum are... I leave the calculations to the "experts".

To be clear, I have nothing against anyone, as the most of the ones that post in here I believe. I met all of the mods and achat members and I have high respect for them.

Thats why i was expecting some different approach in this matter. I thought integrity and honesty would come first. Noone wants heads to be taken. I thought this could be resolved quietly with just an apologie.

To quote the great Admin - that changed his POV overnight miraculously - there are always three sides yours, mine and what really happened. For me there are ppl that know the truth and ppl that dont. The ones that know the truth in this story are the ones that fighting. One side tries to prevail that truth and the other side tries to hide it from the common view. The ones that doesnt know what is going on are just taking sides according to their previously friendships and relationships.

I dont want to say more. Its all there for the mods to look for.

As already been said, most of the damage is done. Lets not cause more of it.

As i said before, its not the purpose of all this to take someone's head. Or to convict someone. But I think we all know how it feels when u know the truth and they are trying to take it away from u. And mostly WE ARE NOT DUMMIES my dear Jaynie (hugs) :D

« : April 24, 2016, 10:09:33 AM Tonyg »

Brandybee
: 6966

Sweet As Honey With A Cheeky Sting. BUZZ !!

« #4 : April 24, 2016, 10:27:09 AM »

And just proves my point that private information was obtained and discussed outside the Moderator circles.

Quote -

But I think we all know how it feels when u know the truth

Yes, and  frankly I am sick of the wrong assumptions and will now lock this topic too. 

:)   :D   :P    THERE'S  A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  DEVIL  IN  MY  ANGEL  EYES       :)    :D    :P
: [1]  
« previous next »
: