*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Discussions about AChat
| |-+  Share your creative ideas (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Ethical dilemmas
« previous next »
: [1]
: Ethical dilemmas  ( 2961 )
Tonyg
: 90

« : May 10, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »

Ethical dilemmas, also known as moral dilemmas, are situations in which there is a choice to be made between two options, neither of which resolves the situation in an ethically acceptable fashion.

I’m sure that in the course of our lives all of us had to face and deal with such dilemmas.
I’m also sure that not all of us would make the same decisions in every situation.

But why is that? Aren’t we all moral people?

Let me give u an example:

“Your best friend is about to get married. The ceremony will be performed in one hour, but you have seen, just before coming to the wedding, that your friend’s fiancee has been having an affair. If your friend marries this woman, she is unlikely to be faithful, but on the other hand, if you tell your friend about the affair, you will ruin his wedding. Would you, or would you not, tell your friend of the affair?”    
(Source: Listverse http://listverse.com/2011/04/18/10-more-moral-dilemmas/)

I’m sure that’s not an easy decision to make…

So, what would u do?
You can see what others would do and vote too if u want in the following link:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tracyclayton/moral-dilemmas-that-will-break-your-brain?utm_term=.gnjxX07Wz#.cu8E3mYBP

As u can see most people (86%) would “Tell your best friend; sure the day will be ruined, but better a day ruined than an entire life”
and less (14%) would prefer to “Say nothing; your job is to be supportive and participate in your friend’s happiness”

Of course, the fact that most people choose to tell doesn’t make this decision the righteous one.

Let me prove it to u…

In the same example let’s say that it is your best friend that is having an affair.
What would u do then? Would u tell his fiancée before the wedding?

I’m sure all of you that answered yes in the first example would choose not to tell this time.

But why is that? What changed? The facts are the same.

The key-word in this is “best friend”.

As u can see our morality has to do with persons and not actions.
When it involves persons close to us our morality is more loose.

What I’m trying to say here is that sometimes we have to make decisions that might hurt others but we consider them righteous.
Decisions that others won’t see as ethical, only because they are closer to the people involved.

Of course these ethical dilemmas are not easy to answer and might torture you for a long time.
Maybe weeks, months even.
And because some may question and doubt your accusations (especially the person involved), you have to observe the situation for some time, to exclude any mistakes on your part, just to make sure theres no doubt at all.
At one point though you might decide that if you let the situation continue like this, more people involved will get hurt, manipulated or even abused.

This leads me to the main reason for this post, the ethical dilemma of multiple accounts and questions which still have to be answered.

So...
Are multiple accounts ethical?
Some might say "yes why not? It’s a game after all".
Some might say "no because its not ethical to fool people on an emotional level".

Yes but what if these accounts interfere with something more than just fun?

Let me give you another example.

What if I use my multi accounts to take part in contests and comps so that I’ll have more chances to win them? Especially when A$ are involved?

What if I use my multi accounts to take part in polls and give a boost to my favorite person, or even to myself?

What if I make a post and use my many accounts to support ideas, or guide discussions in a certain direction to make my own point more strong?

You know there is a term for this. It is called “Sock Puppet”.
“The term sock puppet refers to multiple pseudonyms in use by the same person on a particular message board or forum. The analogy of a sock puppet is of a puppeteer holding up both hands and supplying dialogue to both puppets simultaneously. A typical use of a sockpuppet account is to agree with or debate another sockpuppet account belonging to the same person, for the purposes of reinforcing the puppeteer's position in an argument. Sock puppets are usually found when an IP address check is done on the accounts in forums.
Sockpuppets may be created during an online poll to submit multiple votes in favor of the puppeteer. A related usage is the creation of multiple identities, each supporting the puppeteer's views in an argument, attempting to position the puppeteer as representing majority opinion and sideline opposition voices. In the abstract theory of social networks and reputation systems, this is known as a sybil attack."
(Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Sock_puppet)

As I said earlier there might be different interpretations and dealing with the above ethical dilemmas.
But we have to respect other people and their perception of ethics as well.
It's also wrong, just my personal ethical point of view again, to not act at all and just let all that happen.

Answering the second dilemma for myself, if my best friend was having an affair, I would say: "No, I wouldn’t tell his fiancée that he is having an affair and I would deny any accusations too. He is my best friend after all".

But I would try to talk to him and advise him that what he is doing is wrong and he must stop this immediately because this hurts other people and it’s not a right thing to do.
If he would listen to me?
That I can’t answer but at least my conscious would be less guilty.
Because believe it or not my conscious will trouble me either way.

FoxyRoxxy
: 10457

DESERT ROSE

« #1 : May 10, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »

I like what you say here Tony  please send me a copy PM ..I  like to have it all ,and maybe  I say maybe not  changed
or removed some things   ofc this is my own opine  I just like to have a back up  to read it more ....

as for the telling  it depends  if it here online or if its in real life ,,,

see I am in a situation  at the moment , a  few months now  I found out not the same

but its the same as it I know  friend of many years  and it surprised  she is having a  Afire 
nothing  none common   ,I never  would of thought she  do this to her family  I am not judging her
for it they have there reasons  but to me well its  very hard for me ..knowing them and seeing the family and
you cant not imagine how it eats me up inside seeing  knowing this especially  seeing  her daughter , the husband  has always
been kind  and nice  that is even more sad to me knowing this ..I would not tell  if its real .

I can not see be the case  of them breaking up ...

Ethical ,I have lost I lost trust and respect for her
and  if  around   her  I just don't want to be around her  I rather walk away  to avoid  her
 I do it more because i think of her daughter, I would not what to hurt them,, and this is for her  that I dont say any thing...

if it was the  man and I know  her a longer time I would tell tho lol,, its normal man  to do it but

when a women dose it  its so different  see as I see it we women are strong  we are the care we are the family care provider..

we  care for the family   when we  dont well there is no security in the house ,,, I am so glad I am real life single

on the other you write I agree with you  on a lot 

tell more later   

Ok so last night  I had dinner with a   friend and she added more to this lady story  ,she tells me she the lady is seeing her brother

they are having   love affair,,   and not just this she is taking his $  and at the same time we found out she is talking to others  and

a male  also said he was with her but that she asked him for some$  and he had to end it  ...So as I am seeing this   this is more like

hooking    so you know what  I thought about it and at all  it is time to walk away from  this  person or not even  talk to her ,,,

to hurt others and also  to take $  from men is just so  wrong   In my eye ..people can do as they wish but it  is also something

for me to not hang around this
« : May 11, 2016, 09:09:38 AM FoxyRoxxy »

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
Kaitlyn1989

« #2 : May 10, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

A slippery subject matter, given morals and values tend to be "personal" truths rather than universal facts.
Both subject to perspective, my values  may not be the same as yours. When I am faced with "moral" dilemmas
I always follow my heart, it is my compass. I keep my heart happy, and although I may not completely eliminate
 inner conflict or uncertainty I am at peace with myself.
TomH
: 15

« #3 : May 11, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »

I beg to disagree a little kaytlyn. I believe that a majority might agree about the ethical values and morals, but we base our actions either on beliefs or on facts and experience. This can vary and as you say become slippery. Worst though is neglect. Following our heart is naturally allways awesome as long as we are open for the truth.
« : May 11, 2016, 03:11:54 PM TomH »
FoxyRoxxy
: 10457

DESERT ROSE

« #4 : May 12, 2016, 07:47:17 AM »

I  follow  fairness   honesty justice and  and this is who I live  we  can all  joke and play around but with integrity I can be at
peace with myself and have  joy for all  is right  ...

And

the lion fell in love with the lamb
 walking side by side .

~ Peace ~

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
: [1]  
« previous next »
: