Skip to content

DID YOU KNOW…?

- Not logged in to forum -

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    JessiCapri
    Participant

This topic is for fun, informative facts that may not be common knowledge.

It is NOT a gossip page.  It is NOT to be used for mocking, bullying or for attempts to intimidate other members.  Should you have any questions as to the purpose of this topic please feel free to contact me via PM here on the forum.

JessiCapri
    Participant

Did You Know…

The three black lines on school buses serve a purpose. The bottom line is the floor of the bus. The middle line is the seat line. The top black line is the top of the seats. These lines of the bus are reinforced, but they also let firefighters know where to cut in case of an accident.

E4Dtco4.jpg

Vaughan

Did you know….

The phenomenon which causes glass to shatter when we pour boiling water into it is called thermal shock.

Unfortunately, not all cups or vessels are suitable for handling hot liquids with ease.

Typical glass, in general, is not able to handle such heat very well. The reason is that as the glass heats, its density changes; it expands.
    Pouring boiling water into a glass is highly likely to shatter it, because the hot water contacts part of the glass first, whereas other parts of the glass (such as the outside of the cup) remain cooler.
    The glass thus does not expand as a whole, but is pulled in different directions as part of it expands and part does not; this difference produces the shattering.

But to stop the glass shattering just … put  spoon in it, then pour in the boiling hot water.

[img height=300]https://media.sciencephoto.com/image/c0078070/800wm[/img]

It really does work and such a simple idea. 

So enjoy your Irish Cream Coffees without fear. 

JessiCapri
    Participant

JessiCapri
    Participant

JessiCapri
    Participant

JessiCapri
    Participant

JessiCapri
    Participant

The helmet behind the bike on the roadside is the international “sign of distress” that biker needs help!

JessiCapri
    Participant

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi owns a restaurant with no prices on the menu, which allows guests to work in exchange for their meals. The Soul Kitchen Community Restaurant is located in Red Bank, New Jersey and is a non-profit restaurant run by the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation. It offers community seating and a menu without prices.

Vaughan

Grapes light on fire in the microwave.

[img width=400]https://i2.wp.com/bestlifeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Grapes.jpg?resize=500%2C333&ssl=1[/img]

Back in 2011, a physicist at the University of Sydney went viral after he placed a grape in the microwave and filmed the fiery aftermath.
    And oddly enough, scientists couldn't explain the phenomenon until quite recently. A March 2019 study published in Proceedings of the
    National Academy of Sciences reported that the fruity fireball occurs as a result of the loose electrons and ions that cluster to form plasma
    when grapes get hot.

Watch

https://www.google.com/search?q=grape+plasma+microwave&oq=grape+plasma+microwave&aqs=chrome..
    69i57j0l2j0i22i30j0i390j69i61.2856j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_gHd5YMf_BMqc1fAPi5-oqAU16

JessiCapri
    Participant

“THEY” say it's nothing to do with the guns.  That it is all about mental health.  Yet they do NOTHING to treat mental health.  “They” say enforce laws we have on the books already.  In response the governor of Iowa signed an executive order just last week that eliminated the need to have fire arms registered.  In order to have a registered fire arm a background check must be passed.

Remember this the next time you wish to travel to the USA.

Vaughan

The longest place name in the world is 85 letters long.

[img]https://i0.wp.com/bestlifeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/longest-place-name.jpg?resize=500%2C333&ssl=1[/img]

Unfortunately, this is one of the facts you probably can't repeat to your friends—and that's because it's nearly impossible to pronounce.
    Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu is in New Zealand and is 85 letters long.
    And when it comes to other super long place names, it's followed by
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales,
    Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in the U.S., 
    Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein in South Africa,    and
    Azpilicuetagaraycosaroyarenberecolarre in Spain.

Vaughan

There was a prehistoric dragonfly that's wings spanned more than two feet.

[img]https://i0.wp.com/bestlifeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/dragonfly-meganeura.jpg?resize=500%2C375&ssl=1[/img]

More than 300 million years ago, the Meganeura established itself as the largest known flying insect to ever exist on Earth. The dragonfly-like creature had a wingspan that stretched around 2.5 feet. The bugs were also big enough to hunt prey like frogs and newts, which it could eat with its teeth-like mandibles.

JessiCapri
    Participant
    JessiCapri
    Participant

In April, of 2018, the state of Louisiana held a vote to make having sex with animals in the state of Louisiana illegal.  The law passed with a vote of 25 – 10.

The 10 senators – all Republican – who voted against the bill were senate president John Alario, Brett Allain, Dan Claitor, Jack Donahue, Jim Fannin, Ryan Gatti, Gerald Long, Beth Mizell, Jonathan Perry and Neil Riser.

When visiting Louisiana make sure to keep your dog on a leash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.