*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Favorite Movies
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 7
: Favorite Movies  ( 49881 )
Janine Dee
: 2541

« : June 22, 2010, 05:05:56 AM »

Since the Favorite Music thread is up to four pages I thought I would try something in a similar theme and start talking movies. The most recent movie I went to is Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Junior makes an amazingly charismatic Tony Stark, and I feel you can tell he's a fan of the comics.

Which also is another area I feel the need to compliment the Iron Man movies on, my geeky roots are undisputed and the movies have been managing to work in many of the characters and themes of the comics while not only not getting bogged down, but keeping the story flowing, and well paced.

And while Downey has earned his place at the head of the cast they filled it with an extraordinary roster. With Paltrow having the energy to balance against what Downey brings to Stark in her role as Pepper pots.

Don Cheadle replaces Terrance Howard as Rhodey and I think it was an upgrade. Cheadle isn't seen much, but he brings a strength to the character that makes him distinct rather then a simple side kick to Iron Man.

Samuel Jackson... I've been a fan of Jackson for a long while because while most actors seem to think about whether or not the Academy will like their performance Jackson seems to think "Will this be fun?" "Will I enjoy myself?" I realized this about him (and became a fan) when they were doing the first three Star Wars movies and he explained that he ended up as Mace Windu because he told his agent, he didn't care what role he had to play as long as he was in the movies... I LOVED that.

Now, while Marvel had done a black Nick Fury in a alternate universe set of comics I had always pictured Nick as the white guy with the brown hair going gray, but now that I've seen Samuel Jackson in the role, I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood better for it.

Scarlett Johansson... she speaks Latin, kicks ass in a black leather outfit, and has red hair, and to quite Tony Stark "I want one."

Talk about this movie, talk about any other movies... just more for us to chatter about.

Bathed in moonlight
I'm proclaimed by angels cry
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul
will be mine the day you die

Kamelot, Descent of the Archangel
sinnnn
: 1379

« #1 : June 22, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »

Oh I love you Janine.  I am a movie buff at heart.  I will try my best to be as detailed as you, but I do get carried away.  Saw Iron Man 2 and I loved it.

Recently I went to see The Karate Kid and Splice.

I usually hate when they do remakes or keep making sequels to the point they just ruin the whole concept.  But they did great with The Karate Kid movie.  For those of you who don't know about the The Karate Kid at all(I grab my chest an gasp, please don't let that be true), here is a little run down.

A young boy movies to a new place an end up having a crush on the wrg girl.  While trying to show off/be the good guy he ends up getting his cute little but kicked by a bully(and bullies always travel in pacts). Thats basicly how his life in a new place begans, him becoming a punching bag for the bullies and trying to get the girl. 
I don't want to tell the story so, I just say he learns how to protect himself.  I know I don't make it sound like something to run to the movies to see, but trust me it was worth going to see.

As for Splice, its was interesting.  Made you think, "Damn they are stupid and that chic needs major therapy," threw the whole movie.   
Janine Dee

« #2 : June 22, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »

Oh honey, there is no right or wrong to it. You can have as much or as little detail as you would like.

For example I will play off you as ask how Jackie was in the Karate Kid? I've been a fan of his for a while now. A friend got me into him with the Shanghai series of movies and some of his earlier stuff like Rumble in the Bronx.

Some of his more recent stuff however he started using wire teams and lost a great deal of what made Jackie Chan, Jackie Chan.

But I LIKED the Forbidden Kingdom, and I remembered why I was a fan, wire teams and all.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

mikki
: 124

« #3 : June 22, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »

One of my all tine favorite movies of all tine is Bram Stoker's Dracula. It is the only movie about Dracula, that has ever made an attempt to be true to the original book from whence Dracula was created. The fictional one of Stoker mind you, not the Prince of said name from history. The only other film to even briefly touch on it was Nosferatu, and that is a film for another time. In this version of the film, we see why Dracula has forsaken god, and become the monster he is. He feels betrayal at the loss of his love, and though he is scheming to spread his kind throughout the world starting with London. Once he sees Mina, and is reminded of his love, we start to see a transformation. We can begin to see shades of the man he once was, as he begins to pursue Mina, in hopes of regaining his love. We can see that perhaps he has regrets in hip past. I see this a beautiful love story as well as a horror film.
Of course if you wish to disagree with me, feel free to do so. I only give the reasons why I like it.
sinnnn

« #4 : June 22, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »

He was perfect sweety.  I have always loved watching Jackie, from his old movies(even the really rare one which he was a bad guy) to now.  As for the wires, he is up their in age I hate to say.  I rather watch him in wires because his movies still have what it always did.  Heart, laughter and of course his cute tush.   ;)
bouli

« #5 : June 22, 2010, 05:58:24 PM »

I've always had a soft spot for Tim Burton's movies with Johnny Depp starring in most of them. The first one coming to mind is Sweeney Tood - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, a beautiful, dark and bloody musical remade in Burton's style.

Apart from them, I've always enjoyed Tarantino's work and kind of have a thing for most scifi movies. A few random titles from my collecion:
District 9, the Crow, Inglourious Basterds, Watchmen, the Dark Knight, Equilibrium, Coraline, Dogma, Edwards Scissorshands and Sin City.
Janine Dee

« #6 : June 22, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »

I WANT to see Equilibrium... I've seen the gun katas... and I can't find the words... I want to see it, and I want to own it.

For those who might want to see... the gun katas set to Rammstein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy7KuJKytSE&NR=1

And you are right about his age, but for me the idea wasn't so much wanting to see him doing all the work, but the fact he was a hero that had to obey mortal physics.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn

« #7 : June 22, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »

Oh I have that movie babes.  The best part is how they made shooting guns into a martial art form.  Was sweet.  You have to get it.

Johnny rocks. He on actor that truly does not mind not always looking good for the movies.  Like Bale he puts his soul in it.  I also Like Angie an when Salt comes out, I'm first in line.
Janine Dee

« #8 : June 22, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »

Ummmmmmmmm.... maybe I watch too many action movies... or maybe I just like hot chicks that can kick ass, but Angie, with the English accent in Tomb Raider. Not to mention that we women can all wear her braid from the same movie in the game.  ;D

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn

« #9 : June 22, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »

Huh have you seen UltraViolet, or Resident Evil.  My fav action chic.  A new Resident Evil is coming out an of course my geeky tail will be there. Also my only true love,  female martial artist is Briggetta Lee in Bride with the White Hair.  She also started next to Jet Li. 
Janine Dee

« #10 : June 22, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »

I loved the first two Resident Evils (own em), primarily because my gamer geeky self was pulling detail after detail from  he games out of the movie. The third one hasn't gotten me to sit down and watch it yet. I almost cringe wondering what they will do with a fourth since the world was sorta done in three.

I also own UltraViolet it's simply a great movie. It has the dystopian sort of cyber-punk type feel that drew me to movies like Johnny Mnemonic.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn

« #11 : June 22, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »

I own Johnny Mne.  I think we are like movie soul friends.  Let me check.  Did you like Aeon Flux(both movie an anime is in my collection)?  And how bout Underworld?
mikki
: 124

« #12 : June 22, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »

Oh sinnn & Janine,
  you are both mentioning so many movies I love. Of titles featuring Milla, I have to add The Fifth Element. Kate Beckinsale in Van Helsing.There are plenty of strong, sexy  women out there
sinnnn

« #13 : June 22, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »

Oh I watch 5th element every other month. 
 Mill is my girl, she totally kick ass.  An own Van Helsing too.  Sadly I have closets, shelves full of movies.  My dream is a home theater an a nice place for my comic collection.  Yeah I said it.  COMIC COLLECTION.   ;D

Another movie I love, its old an her acting is not all that great but it was still fun to watch.  Sheena.  Also I loved Red Sonja. Real Beastmaster(first one only) and Conan fan also.
Bear
: 3856

« #14 : June 22, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »

5th Element great movie, one of a handful I do watch over. Might suggest Sigourney Weaver and her Alien series,...the character transition between he first and last had an interesting evolution.

My favorite actor, just to listen to his voice, is Morgan Freeman. Something about the pitch and tone of his speech has me mesmerized. Shawshank Redemption, Million Dollar Baby, Invictus, for starters.

: [1] 2 3 ... 7  
« previous next »
: