*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books... (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Books, Books, and more Books
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 5
: Books, Books, and more Books  ( 41532 )
Adera
: 3047

« #15 : December 01, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »

Hmm werewolves... I don't really know.

Btw I usually listen to audio books, its so nice to be able to do other things while listening to a good book.
Janine Dee
: 2541

« #16 : December 01, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »

It HAS werewolves, as well as vampires and witches. It's called the Hollows by Kim Harrison. It's a sort of alternative earth where in the 50's60's genetic engineering created a virus called the Angel Virus that wiped out over half the human population. As it did so however it was noticed that certain parts of the population were immune. They were the witches, werewolves, and vampires (and assorted beings) that were living in secret, hiding from humanity.

While the reduced population made it impossible for them to hide like they once did they suddenly found their numbers about equal if they were to all band together against the humans. They didn't, but the fact that they could kept humanity from doing anything rash and allowed the world of the Hollows to develop with our modern world with the supernatural seamlessly integrated.

I primarily read it for Ivy, a living vampire (they are born with a virus that makes them vamps, and reanimates them once they die, at which point they no longer age, but also loose their soul) who is sexy on two legs, and has a sexual tension with the main character, her witch roommate Rachel that's just yummy.

As well as a strong part of my desire to be bit.  ;D

Bathed in moonlight
I'm proclaimed by angels cry
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul
will be mine the day you die

Kamelot, Descent of the Archangel
Bear
: 3856

« #17 : December 01, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

LOL,...well, will take a look Janine,..vampires are the have been and will be the "sexy" of the dark things that go bump in the night. I am trying to do some research on an idea,...looking for suggestions that might give me a seed of thought of how the psyche of a character"tainted"  might be, how other authors look at things. Have my been building own opinions in this case as I work at breaking a writers block,...and I get best I can describe as flashes of direction,...obvious by my question,...the focus here is involves werewolves.

Janine Dee

« #18 : December 02, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »

And there are werewolves. They are simply called weres and they have their human and their wolf forms, but the wolf form is basically the same killos as their human form since their mass doesn't magically vanish.

I just love Ivy.  ;D

But the main character IS a witch, so that would be the most featured "type" but the representation seems fairly broad with Rachel meeting a wide variety. I know it's not the first book, I think it's the third, but a were character named David becomes a regular "cast" member and were issues DO come out.

A brief summary of one that threads across several books is their mating rate versus others, in that book the vamps as vamps CAN make a normal human into a vamp (though a socially low standing one) but a were must mate with a were to have children.

In that case David didn't WANT to have pups, but other weres were pushing because they considered it his responsibility.

Don't know if that would be the kind of issue that could come up for the story you are considering, but you could invert the idea of how can one connect if lycanthropy IS spread as easily as folklore indicates, etc, etc.

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn
: 1379

« #19 : December 02, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »

Oh I know that book.  Was so mad when they killed Kirsten off.  Man I loved him and then she killed off the lil sprites wife, I was floored.  WTF is next dammit.
Janine Dee

« #20 : December 02, 2010, 03:36:54 PM »

I dunno, I saw Kisten as "Ivy with a penis so it's okay to have sex." That's not to say that I didn't like the guy, but he always seems kind of puny. Under Piscary, under Ivy, under Rachel. He always felt like the runt character to me.

I saw the Jenks/Matlina thing developing after the spell to make him big. I guessed it reset his clock.

As far as what's next? It wouldn't be as fun to read if we could guess in advance.  ;D

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

sinnnn
: 1379

« #21 : December 05, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »

True but the thing is he WAS good for her.  He did care for her and thats the point.  All the ppl she dated were truly fucked up, at least he wasn't THAT bad, lol.  Ask me she is going to get knocked up and have a demon baby.

Still waiting for my next Jim Butcher, how could he end Changes like that.  So cruel Jim. :P
Janine Dee

« #22 : December 05, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »

That does seem very Rachel... all the more reason she needs to give into her vamp-curious nature and give into Ivy... *sigh* I wanna be bit... and yes Sinnnn that is a hint.  ;D :-* ;D

Bathed in moonlight
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul

Lover
: 10350

« #23 : April 09, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »

I finished the audiobook "11/22/63" of Stephen King. 33 hours playtime!!! But every second is worth it, it's absolut fantastic. No horror, just suspense. A teacher discovers a hidden "door" to the past and shall avoid the attack to President Kennedy.

NewGurl
: 433

« #24 : April 10, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

A few of my Classics

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe
The Complete Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis
All of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum  (there are several and they are not exactly kids books)
All of the Happy Potter Books by J. K. Rowling   (the books are much better than the movies, lots more details)
Rukya
: 2891

Paddle Queen

« #25 : April 10, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »

One i readed long ago and that i dont know how i have made to read it fully  ;D

THE BIBLE , by many peoples and surely wrong in many things writen in it , but true in some others

Its the story of a some strange guys who can walk on water , or call divinity to open a sea . Hmmm it looks like dragon ball z , but without the big explosions and the kamehameha , mixed with a peplum (not sure if this is the same word in english ) . ;D

Its a strange book , but more interesting that it seems  ;D

STOP TO FAVORIZE THE MF ORIENTATION , FF PAY THE SAME PRICE THAN THEM AS ALL OTHERS ORIENTATIONS !!!!
chasxxx
: 116

« #26 : April 18, 2012, 02:33:15 AM »

anything by heinlein or asimov
anything by stephen king, but especially the gunslinger series
japanese mysteries by edogawa rampo (it's a nom de plume. say it aloud :))
perfume was fantastic as a book. i am afraid to see movie
dean koontz
hell, i read cereal boxes, though they USED to be a lot more interesting
hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #27 : April 18, 2012, 02:40:35 AM »

Never had thing about how a cereal box can be interessing.....maybe cause i don't eat them!?  ::)

chasxxx
: 116

« #28 : April 18, 2012, 04:12:10 AM »

i think they are interesting mainly to children but i try to feed my inner child and keep him healthy  ;D
hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #29 : April 18, 2012, 04:17:05 AM »

i see your inner child like so much Goofy (Pippo in Italy)......or you are just a Goofy's feticist!?  ::)

: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
: